This sauce is one that I have changed so many times. After about 10 years my family was getting tired of it changing all the time and said that it was time to write it down. So I did. Its the most requested meal in my house by my family and all my kids friends.
- 8 chicken pieces
- 2 1⁄2 cups ketchup
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 4 tablespoons molasses
- 4 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 8 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 serrano chili (finely minced)
- 2 chipotle bouillon cubes, Knorr brand (optional)
- Remove chicken from the package, season both sides lightly with kosher salt and black pepper.
- For BBQ Sauce:.
- Add all ingredients to a saucepan and simmer for a bit over a ½ hour.
- (Watch out for bubbles and splatter).
- Grill chicken for about an hour, until almost done, (about 145 degrees internal temp).
- Baste top side and cook for 15 minutes, flip, baste other side and cook for another 15 minutes. Flip again and baste and cook for five more minutes, then flip and baste then cook for 5 more minutes. Internal temperature should be a minimum of 165 degrees when done.
- When grilling watch for flare ups during cooking process before sauce is applied and also after. Try to use indirect heat after sauce is applied. Can also cook in the oven using the broiler with the oven rack at the second from the top position. Cooking times will vary with the oven method.
- Can refrigerate sauce for about a month (it never lasts that long in my house)
- * If no bouillon, substitute a spice of your choice, cayenne pepper, Jalapeno powder, and for a super kick, Habenaro powder (use caution).
- # If you like a bit of chunk in your sauce, finely minced garlic, 2-3 cloves, and one half an onion, can be used in place of the powder.
This is a terrific BBQ sauce! Love the sweet with the spicy kick from the chipotle. Didn't have a chipotle boullion cube but had chipotle powder so used about a 2-3 teaspoons of that and it was perfect for us. Grilled on boneless skinless chicken breasts and really enjoyed - thanks for sharing your recipe!
We loved this bbq chicken! DH bought 3 breasts and a small package of legs. Instead of the serrano chili we used one jalapeno that we deseeded and did not find the chipotle bouillon cubes so that was omitted and we added a good pinch of red pepper flakes. We did not have our sauce as spicy as the recipe called for but it was very good. DH wants to get some wings and marinate them in this sauce now. :) Made and reviewed for My3Chefs - June 2012.