Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
My neighbor had everyone over to her house after the St. Pat's Day Parade..... hence the name.
- 4 cups broccoli, bite sized pieces, about 2 heads
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 cup pine nuts, toasted, sub. sunflower seeds
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- Over medium heat, toast pine nuts in a dry skillet until lightly browned. Careful not to burn. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine: broccoli, raisins, onion, pine nuts, bacon.
- Combine mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar. Spoon over the broccoli medley and toss to coat.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- If preparing the night before. Wait until 2 hours before serving to put the mayonnaise mixture over the broccoli medley.
I used real bacon bits & sliced almonds and found this to be a lovely version of a favorite salad! Thank you for sharing the recipe. :-)
Reviewed for PAC Spring '08 -- extremely yummy! I did tweak this a bit, to lower the calorie content; I increased the broccoli-to-everything-else ratio, and used a combination of low-fat and nonfat mayo in the dressing (also increased the vinegar and decreased the sugar, just a bit). I used your suggestion and subbed toasted sunflower seeds for pine nuts. This had a wonderful combination of flavors, and I just loved the crunchiness of it all. Thanks so much for posting it!