Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Say "Happy St. Patrick's Day" with these cookies!
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- In a medium bowl, beat butter or margarine and brown sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Add flour and salt to the butter and blend well.
- With a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface, roll out dough 1/4-inch thick.
- Cut out cookies using a 3 inch Shamrock cookie cutter and place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Re-roll scraps.
- Sprinkle green sugar crystals on each cookie.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until cookies are pale golden, not brown.
- Let stand 2 minutes.
- Remove to a rack and let cool completely.
I also found the mixture would not come together without adding some milk. Perhaps there should be more butter? Not bad, but not as shortbread like as others have said.
Pretty good. A nice shortbread-type recipe, but a little dry. I had to add a dash of extra milk just to keep it from falling apart, and rolling it out was impossible. It wouldn't stick together. But it tasted pretty good in the end! Thanks Laurie!
I usually don't have luck with cut out cookie dough but this was great! It baked up perfectly and the sweetness is perfect on it's own. It is a very buttery cookie too. As soon as I tasted one I thought these would be great with ice cream. So I tried one with a small scoop of ice cream on top, it was great! I used Colored Sugar and generously sprinkled extra sugar on it and pressed it into the cookie before baking. So it came out looking really green and nice this way. Will definitely make these cookies again. Thanks for sharing.