Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Not too dissimilar from Red Velvet Cake, this beauty would be a wonderful dessert for St. Patrick's Day or Christmas Day! It is a beautiful green treat set off by your favorite cream cheese frosting. It would do either of the saints, Patrick or Nicholas, proud! Note that the food coloring can be adjusted, lighter or darker, to suit your eye by using more or less food coloring.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 ounces green food coloring (or any color)
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- cream cheese frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 8-inch or 9-inch layer cake pans or 1 Bundt pan.
- Mix all dry ingredients together by sifting. Combine all liquids. Combine both dry and liquid ingredients and beat approximately 2 minutes.
- Pour into prepared layer cake pans dividing evenly or into the prepared Bundt pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes for layers or 1 hour for Bundt or until cake tests done with a toothpick.
- Cool on rack 10 minutes, then turn out and cool completely. Frost with your favorite cream cheese frosting.
Unfortunately, this didn't work very good for me. I made this into cupcakes. The color was magnificent (I used a lot of food coloring - they came out a very deep green!), but the cupcakes were overly greasy on the bottoms and generally lacking in flavor. The cream cheese icing I had planned may have helped (as prior review by Pneuma noted) but honestly, we threw these away and used a box cake mix that we tinted green instead.
Had this yesterday baking it with the bundt pan. This was very good. Love the color, the velvety texture and isn't too sweet. I used Recipe #6536 for the topping which also contributed to the sweetness. Wouldn't skimp on the frosting and would add more sugar next time as preference. Thanks! Made for TOTM's Tag it Green.
This was a delicious cake. I used it for my son's birthday on St. Patrick's Day. The cake was moist and tasty, and was even better the next day. I think this will be his traditional birthday cake from now on. Thanks, I think I'll try it again with a different color of food coloring!