1/2 Photos of St Patrick's Day Muffins (Savoury Potato Muffins)
Perfectionist cook's Note:
I got this from a cupcake calender which has a different recipe for every day of the year. (Thanks Ang!) I made these recently and added a few tweaks. Note that this recipe has boiled chopped potatoes, not mashed and is vegetarian.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium potatoes (peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt (be generous as they can be a bit bland otherwise)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives (or spring onions chopped)
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1/2 cup yellow cheese (grated) (optional)
- 1Pre-heat the oven to 350F (175C).
- 2Grease a 12 cup muffin pan or use paper liners (preferably green or with shamrocks on them).
- 3In a small saucepan, cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 8 minutes or until just tender.
- 4Drain and rinse under cold water and set aside.
- 5In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking powder.
- 6In a large bowl, beat the egg, oil, buttermilk, chives or spring onion and parsley.
- 7Stir the flour mixture into the buttermilk mixture until nearly combined. Gently fold in potatoes. Add the cheese if using, note that you should reduce the added salt if using a salty cheese like parmesan or crumbled feta.
- 8Spoon into muffin tins and bake for 20 minutes. You can top these with extra grated cheese, sesame seeds or even some flax seeds.
- 9Remove pan from oven and cool for 5 minutes. Then remove muffins and cool on rack.
- 10Serve with a glass of Guinness!.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for St Patrick's Day Muffins (Savoury Potato Muffins)
Serving Size: 1 (202 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 567.0
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 49.5 mg
- Sodium 418.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 89.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 15.2 g