1/2 Photos of St. Patrick's Day Low Fat Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup With Bacon
6 hrs 10 mins
Some might say this is a generic split pea recipe but it's easy and cheap and since I made it on St. Patrick's day that's what I'm calling it. It just happens to be green too. This is also a great recipe if you're feeding a family or you want to have soup on hand later in the week or to keep in the freezer. It's low fat because the crumbled bacon used was 50% leaner than cooked bacon and it's the only fat component in the dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a crock pot/slow cooker, combine water, carrots and onion and cook on high till carrots bite easily but are not soft. (About 2.5 to 3 hours).
- 2Empty the dry peas into a strainer and inspect for stones or other unwanted items. Rinse with cold water and empty into crock pot with bay leaves and salt. Cook on high for two hours.
- 3Empty bag of real crumbled bacon into mix and cook at additional hour.
- 4Serve hot.
- 6#1. Cooking the peas for at least three hours on high in a crock pot creates it's own creaminess and I do not recommend adding dairy to this recipe at all. Since I like my peas with a bite that matches the consistency of the bacon, I cut the heat after three hours. But if you like your pea soup more smooth, cook an additional hour or two.
- 7#2. You can omit the salt from the recipe as the bacon will add enough sodium to the recipe, but I think the salt highlights the sweetness of the peas and carrots.
- 8#3. You could omit the bacon to make it completely Non-Fat, but I don't think it would taste as good.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for St. Patrick's Day Low Fat Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup With Bacon
Serving Size: 1 (334 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 377.0
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 8.2 mg
- Sodium 138.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 23.8 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 23.9 g