1/1 Photo of St Patrick's Day Fruit and Spice Bread
1 hr 5 mins
Adapted from a recipe by Sarah Cook in GoodFood magazine. Best eaten warm, freshly baked. It's best by far not to substitute any ingredient.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces oats (rolled breakfast oats)
- 7 ounces flour, all-purpose
- 7 ounces wholewheat flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 2 ounces butter, firm, cut into small dice
- 4 ounces superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces raisins, golden, seedless (sultanas)
- 2 ounces dates, finely chopped (fresh is lovely if available)
- 3 tablespoons mixed peel (dried mixed peel, used for Christmas baking)
- 16 fluid oz buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 -4 tablespoons sugar, dark brown (demerara, or use any brown sugar)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
- 2In a food processor, whizz the oats and butter together. (Can also be done with fingertips, saving you cleaning the processor!).
- 3Tip into a big bowl, and stir in the 2 flours, superfine sugar, baking soda, mixed spice, salt, raisins, dates and mixed peel.
- 4Pour over the buttermilk and vanilla, and stir in briskly with a wooden spoon.
- 5Tip on to a flour-dusted surface and gently form into a flattish ball. Transfer to a baking tin (cover it with baking paper first).
- 6Sprinkle over the dark brown sugar (any brown sugar will do) and press the sugar in, all over the top. To be traditional, cut a cross in the top of the bread.
- 7Bake for about 35 minutes, until crusty on the outside. Do test with a skewer, as ovens can vary a lot. Allow more baking time if necessary.
- 8Nicest if eaten warm, in thick slices, slathered with real butter!
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for St Patrick's Day Fruit and Spice Bread
Serving Size: 1 (114 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 428.2
- Calories from Fat 65
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 501.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 32.6 g
- Protein 8.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: