1/1 Photo of St Patrick's Day Fruit and Spice Bread
1 hr 5 mins
Adapted from a recipe by Sarah Cook in GoodFood magazine. Best eaten warm, freshly baked. It's best by far not to substitute any ingredient.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces oats (rolled breakfast oats)
- 7 ounces flour, all-purpose
- 7 ounces wholewheat flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 2 ounces butter, firm, cut into small dice
- 4 ounces superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces raisins, golden, seedless (sultanas)
- 2 ounces dates, finely chopped (fresh is lovely if available)
- 3 tablespoons mixed peel (dried mixed peel, used for Christmas baking)
- 16 fluid oz buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 -4 tablespoons sugar, dark brown (demerara, or use any brown sugar)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
- 2In a food processor, whizz the oats and butter together. (Can also be done with fingertips, saving you cleaning the processor!).
- 3Tip into a big bowl, and stir in the 2 flours, superfine sugar, baking soda, mixed spice, salt, raisins, dates and mixed peel.
- 4Pour over the buttermilk and vanilla, and stir in briskly with a wooden spoon.
- 5Tip on to a flour-dusted surface and gently form into a flattish ball. Transfer to a baking tin (cover it with baking paper first).
- 6Sprinkle over the dark brown sugar (any brown sugar will do) and press the sugar in, all over the top. To be traditional, cut a cross in the top of the bread.
- 7Bake for about 35 minutes, until crusty on the outside. Do test with a skewer, as ovens can vary a lot. Allow more baking time if necessary.
- 8Nicest if eaten warm, in thick slices, slathered with real butter!
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for St Patrick's Day Fruit and Spice Bread
Serving Size: 1 (114 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 428.2
- Calories from Fat 65
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 501.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 32.6 g
- Protein 8.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: