Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 large egg
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) packages instant pistachio pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2-2⁄3 cup chopped pistachio nut
- granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°; lightly grease (or line with parchment paper) two baking sheets.
- In a bowl, beat the butter, sugar, oil, water, egg, pudding mix, vanilla, salt, and baking powder together until smooth.
- Add in the flour and nuts; beat until everything is well combined; the dough will be stiff.
- Roll or scoop the dough into chestnut-sized balls; roll them in granulated sugar, if desired and place them on the prepared baking sheets, leaving a 1-2 inch space between.
- Press the cookies down gently with the bottom of a drinking glass, dipped in sugar if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until they are just barely beginning to brown around the edges and are golden brown on the bottom.
- Remove them from the oven and transfer to a rack to cool completely.
Delicious cookies! I made these with our nursing home residents, and they had a blast. Each person took turns stirring in each ingredient, rolling the dough into balls and coating with sugar. We couldn't wait to taste them, as they smelled wonderful while baking. As soon as they were cool enough, we dove in. This cookie is different from your "classic" cookie but delicious all the same. The cookies turn out soft on the inside and buttery with crisp, golden bottoms. Thanks for sharing! I will be making these again and possibly substituting a different flavor of pudding mix for variation. Yum!
My Mom made these every year for Christmas so I am excited to find this recipe. I made them and everybody was skeptical but one cookie and they were hooked. Thanks!!