Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
You've always heard of Red Velvet, well try this for an interesting St. Patrick's Day treat. They are also good for Mardi Gras.
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon green food coloring
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl combine sugar, oil, egg, vinegar, vanilla, and green food coloring. Mix well.
- In another bowl combine flour and baking soda. Alternating add flour mixture and buttermilk to the egg mixture until all is combined.
- Line muffin pan with 12 paper liners.
- Pour batter in muffin liners. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and let cool. Ice cupcakes with a white or green icing and decorate as desired. I use a cream cheese icing, tinted green and then use various sprinkles and decorator frosting and decorate for whichever holiday I'm making them for.
It was oily and crumbly, it tasted more like flour flavored cornbread than cake. I made them for a Saint Paddy's party and most people took one bite and threw it away.
This was very good, and such a great alternative to box mix! I used unsweetened applesauce for some of the oil, and I accidentally doubled the green food coloring but it was no biggie. This made a terrific "Larry the Cucumber" cake for DS's birthday. Thanks so much for sharing!
quite good.. the lemon juice made this cupcake quite tangy