1 hr 30 mins
Rainbow - Chef 536866's Note:
This is a second recipe for St Michael's Bannock. This is a traditional Irish flatbread made and eaten for the feast of St Michael on September 29th.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 314.66 ml barley flour
- 314.66 ml oat meal
- 314.66 ml rye meal
- 236.59 ml flour
- 2.46 ml salt
- 9.85 ml baking soda
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml clove
- 4.92 ml nutmeg
- 591.47-709.77 ml buttermilk
- 236.59 ml raisins
- 44.37 ml honey or 44.37 ml brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 236.59 ml cream
- 59.16 ml melted butter
- 1Mix the barley flour, oat meal, and rye meal. Add flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg, .Mix together evenly.
- 2Add the raisins and mix again.
- 3Stir in the buttermilk and honey until mixture forms a ball.
- 4Turn out onto a floured board and knead about 50 - 60 times, adding more flour or milk as needed. The dough will not be as smooth as some breads, but not too sticky. Do not overdo.
- 5Divide dough and roll into circles about 8" in diameter and almost 1" thick (or smaller if needed for better handling). Score a Cross in each one.
- 6While heating a lightly greased skillet, mix the eggs, cream, and melted butter.
- 7Spread onto one of the bannocks and place the bannock, egg-side down, in the skillet and cook til the egg-side is browned.
- 8Put the egg mixture on the top side, flip the bannock and cook 'til the second side is golden.
- 9Repeat this application of the egg wash and flipping and cooking until each side has been cooked three times.
- 10Do the same with the second bannock.
- 11Serve warm with butter and honey.
Browse Our Top Heirloom/Historical Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Heirloom/Historical Recipes
Nutritional Facts for St. Michael's Bannock 2
Serving Size: 1 (439 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1977.2
- Calories from Fat 651
- Total Fat 72.3 g
- Saturated Fat 42.0 g
- Cholesterol 417.4 mg
- Sodium 2820.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 298.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 25.4 g
- Sugars 86.1 g
- Protein 48.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: