1 hr 25 mins
Rainbow - Chef 536866's Note:
St Michael's major feast day is September 29th, now joined with the other archangels. I've just been reading up on St Michael and found out that there is a traditional 'bannock', or flat bread made with barley and oats. This version has the number 1 in the title because there is another that is a bit different. This bannock is of Irish origin and is used by the English on the feast also. I found this recipe online at a site called 'Which Day'
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix barley meal, oatmeal, rye meal, flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt together well in a large bowl.
- 2Stir in the milk, honey or sugar, and the fruit.
- 3Turn the mixture out onto a well-floured board and knead just long enough to make a soft dough. Add more flour or milk, if required to get the consistency right.
- 4Roll the dough into a circle about 20-23cm (8-9″) in diameter and 1-2cm (½-¾″) thick. ( They can be made smaller to be handled better) Wrap lightly in waxed paper and leave to rise for about 20 minutes in a warm place.
- 5Mix together the eggs, cream, and melted butter. Heat a griddle or a large frying pan and grease it lightly.
- 6Unwrap the dough. Paint one surface of the bannock with the egg mixture, and place the bannock with the painted side on the griddle.
- 7Cook over a moderate heat until brown.
- 8Paint the upper surface of the bannock with the egg mixture. Flip over and cook the other side.
- 9Keep turning it over and painting the bannock until each side has been painted and cooked three times, when it is ready to serve.
- 10St Michael's Bannock is good either served plain or spread with butter and honey.
Browse Our Top Heirloom/Historical Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Heirloom/Historical Recipes
Nutritional Facts for St. Michael's Bannock 1
Serving Size: 1 (196 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 682.1
- Calories from Fat 350
- Total Fat 38.9 g
- Saturated Fat 23.2 g
- Cholesterol 223.9 mg
- Sodium 1134.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 13.6 g
- Protein 16.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: