Entered for safe-keeping, adapted from Denise Evans, "Eat Laugh Love". I am fascinated by local food fetishes, and this was based on Straub's Market's version. This is comfort food, no calorie spared. I normally pressure cook bone-in skin-on chicken to get moist, rich chicken; Pressure Cooker Whole Chicken is my go-to recipe (be sure to save the chicken stock for another recipe). If you don't want tiny black specks, use white pepper. It may not be authentic Straub's-style, but I would be tempted to replace the sour cream with Calabro All Natural Whole Milk Ricotta (if available) or Galbani Sorrento Original Ricotta Cheese (whole milk) -- these are premium ricottas, a world apart from the standard supermarket ricotta.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups cooked chicken breasts, diced
- 2 large celery ribs, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 green onions, finely diced
- 6 tablespoons Hellmann's mayonnaise ("Real" Mayonnaise)
- 6 tablespoons sour cream or 6 tablespoons premium ricotta cheese
- 4 ounces feta with sun-dried tomato and basil, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 1 pinch salt
- fresh ground black pepper or white pepper, to taste
- 1In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, celery, bell pepper, and green onions.
- 2In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, sour cream, feta cheese, and dill weed.
- 3Pour sauce over the chicken and stir to blend. Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- 4This is best refrigerated for 4 hours or more before serving, covered with plastic wrap.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for St. Louis-Style Chicken Salad
Serving Size: 1 (133 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 227.3
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 68.8 mg
- Sodium 208.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 21.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
feta with sun-dried tomato and basil