Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 12 mins
Cook 0 mins
Entered for safe-keeping, adapted from Denise Evans, "Eat Laugh Love". I am fascinated by local food fetishes, and this was based on Straub's Market's version. This is comfort food, no calorie spared. I normally pressure cook bone-in skin-on chicken to get moist, rich chicken; Pressure Cooker Whole Chicken is my go-to recipe (be sure to save the chicken stock for another recipe). If you don't want tiny black specks, use white pepper. It may not be authentic Straub's-style, but I would be tempted to replace the sour cream with Calabro All Natural Whole Milk Ricotta (if available) or Galbani Sorrento Original Ricotta Cheese (whole milk) -- these are premium ricottas, a world apart from the standard supermarket ricotta.
- 3 cups cooked chicken breasts, diced
- 2 large celery ribs, diced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 green onions, finely diced
- 6 tablespoons Hellmann's mayonnaise ("Real" Mayonnaise)
- 6 tablespoons sour cream or 6 tablespoons premium ricotta cheese
- 4 ounces feta with sun-dried tomato and basil, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 1 pinch salt
- fresh ground black pepper or white pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, celery, bell pepper, and green onions.
- In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, sour cream, feta cheese, and dill weed.
- Pour sauce over the chicken and stir to blend. Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- This is best refrigerated for 4 hours or more before serving, covered with plastic wrap.
Really a delicious chicken salad. I used low fat mayo and fat free sour cream and replaced the dill with some red pepper flakes for personal preference. For the chicken I used half of a fresh whole chicken which I broiled and let cool. To serve it put it on a bed of green leaf lettuce with some mini Breton crackers beside it. Total yum happening here.
Made for PRMR! This made a good sandwich for lunch today. I did use sour cream. This was filling and not too bad for my health as I usually have a greasy meal for lunch...Thanks for the idea of this so I had a good lunch!!!.