This recipe was published in St. Louis Post Dispatch in 2009. It was originally a staple at the 'Top of the Tower' restaurant in North St. Louis County which operated from 1964 through to the mid 1980s. This salad was originally prepared table side, and was undoubtedly part of an elegant dining experience!
My Private Note
Side Sa ...
Units: US | Metric
- 85.04 g cream cheese, softened
- 85.04 g blue cheese, crumbled
- 88.74 ml water
- 1 raw eggs or 118.29 ml egg substitute
- 22.18 ml lemon juice
- 236.59 ml vegetable oil, divided
- 59.14 ml red wine vinegar
- 1.23 ml prepared mustard
- 3.69 ml paprika
- 3.69 ml sea salt
- 1.23 ml garlic powder
- 2.46 ml white pepper
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 9.85 ml chives, snipped
- 14.79-29.58 ml prepared horseradish
- 7.39 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 1419.54 ml iceberg lettuce leaves, torn
- 828.06 ml romaine lettuce leaves, torn
- 236.59 ml endive, leaves
- 1 hard-boiled egg, chopped
- season salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- anchovy fillet (optional)
- 1Combine Cream Cheese and Blue Cheese and beat until smooth.
- 2Gradually add water to Cheese mix until it is a 'pouring' consistency.
- 3Place raw egg (or egg substitute), lemon juice and 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil in blender and blend at medium speed for 15 seconds.
- 4Slowly increase speed and gradually add remaining 3/4 cup of Vegetable Oil.
- 5Add Vinegar, Mustard, Paprika, Salt, Garlic Powder, White Pepper, Sugar, Chives, Horseradish and Worcestershire Sauce and blend until smooth.
- 6In a large salad bowl, mix Iceberg, Romaine and Endive.
- 7Pour in enough of Cheese Dressing and Oil Dressing to coat greens.
- 8Sprinkle with chopped egg, season salt and black pepper to taste.
- 9Toss gently three times.
- 10Garnish with Anchovy if desired.
Browse Our Top Lettuces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for St. Louis Spinning Salad
Serving Size: 1 (211 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 475.9
- Calories from Fat 425
- Total Fat 47.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 88.3 mg
- Sodium 599.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 7.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
iceberg lettuce leaves