Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe was published in St. Louis Post Dispatch in 2009. It was originally a staple at the 'Top of the Tower' restaurant in North St. Louis County which operated from 1964 through to the mid 1980s. This salad was originally prepared table side, and was undoubtedly part of an elegant dining experience!
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 raw eggs or 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 3⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons chives, snipped
- 1 -2 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 6 cups iceberg lettuce leaves, torn
- 3 1⁄2 cups romaine lettuce leaves, torn
- 1 cup endive, leaves
- 1 hard-boiled egg, chopped
- season salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- anchovy fillet (optional)
- Combine Cream Cheese and Blue Cheese and beat until smooth.
- Gradually add water to Cheese mix until it is a 'pouring' consistency.
- Place raw egg (or egg substitute), lemon juice and 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil in blender and blend at medium speed for 15 seconds.
- Slowly increase speed and gradually add remaining 3/4 cup of Vegetable Oil.
- Add Vinegar, Mustard, Paprika, Salt, Garlic Powder, White Pepper, Sugar, Chives, Horseradish and Worcestershire Sauce and blend until smooth.
- In a large salad bowl, mix Iceberg, Romaine and Endive.
- Pour in enough of Cheese Dressing and Oil Dressing to coat greens.
- Sprinkle with chopped egg, season salt and black pepper to taste.
- Toss gently three times.
- Garnish with Anchovy if desired.