Recipe by Anita Harris
I can't recall where recipe came from but this is as good as any take-out from your local Chinese restaurant. I'm not sure about prep and cook times.
Top Review by littleturtle
Easy and pretty good chop suey that came together in a hurry. I threw this together for a quick lunch just before we headed out of town for the weekend (took about 45 minutes all together from start to finish). I realized too late that we were out of instant rice and didn't have time before we needed to leave to make slow rice, so I just served it without rice and topped it with chow mein noodles. I used baby bella mushrooms 'cause they were on sale for cheap (went very nicely) and added 1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts with the bamboo just 'cause we like 'em. I opted for the chicken broth and added maybe 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper with it. Glad I did 'cause I think it would have been really really bland made with just water and only the soy sauce to season it. As it was we still thought the chicken needed something, maybe some kind of a marinade or spices added when the chicken is cooking (garlic, ginger, and pepper probably....) Good recipe though. Dear family devoured it. I'll just have to keep playing with the seasonings to suit our tastes. Thanks.
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced bamboo shoot
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 -2 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups water or 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- soy sauce
- cooked rice or fried rice
Directions See How It's Made
- In wok or non-stick skillet heat oil and stir-fry chicken until done (chicken will be white and cuts easily).
- Add sprouts and stir then add bamboo shoots, mushrooms, onion and celery; stir thoroughly.
- Add 1 cup of the water or broth.
- Cover and let simmer for about 5 mins or until celery is crisp tender.
- Dissolve cornstarch in the 1/2 cup water and add to chicken mixture, stirring until mixture thickens.
- Season to taste with soy sauce and serve with rice.