Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a wonderful change from the usual cream soups that involve cauliflower or brocoli. I substitured Basil Pesto for the basil when I last made this and it turned out great.
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, small, cored, chopped to bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 -4 cups low sodium chicken broth or 3 -4 cups chicken broth
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄4 cup tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 8 slices crusty bread, about 1/2 inch thick
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon basil, minced
- For The Soup:.
- Adjust oven rack to highest setting and preheat broiler on low.
- Heat a soup pot over medium and add the chopped bacon. Saute, stirring occasionally, until the fat is rendered and the bacon pieces are crisp - about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the onions and garlic and saute, stirring frequently, until the onions are a light golden brown- about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower, cover the pot and cook until tender - about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir well to evenly coat the cauliflower, onions and bacon.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, tomato puree, and vinegar and bring soup to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until all the vegetables are very tender and the soup has developed a rich flavor.
- Add basil to the soup. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- For The Cheddar Toasts:.
- While the soup is simmering, toast the bread slices on a baking sheet under the broiler, turning once. Remove when bread is golden brown on both sides.
- Scatter cheese evenly over the top side of the toasted bread and return to broiler until the cheese bubbles and begins to brown.
- Serve soup in warm bowls and top each portion with a Cheddar toast.
A wonderfully filling soup, I scaled it back for 3 serves and the DM and I polished of the lot for lunch, thank you Cooks4_6, made for Photo tag game.