Prep 35 mins
Cook 45 mins
This scrumptious tart is a slightly modified version of a recipe from "The Food Journal of Lewis and Clark: Recipes for an Expedition." Its unique cornmeal crust makes it stand out from all the other apple desserts available. Serve with a big scoop of vanilla bean ice cream!
- 236.59 ml unbleached flour
- 118.29 ml cornmeal
- 2.46 ml salt
- 118.29 ml butter
- 44.37-59.16 ml ice water
- 907.18 g cooking apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thinly
- 78.07 ml butter
- 78.07 ml raw sugar or 78.07 ml sucanat or 78.07 ml brown sugar
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 29.58 ml packed brown sugar
- 3.69 ml lemon zest
- For crust, stir together dry ingredients; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs, and add water one tablespoon at a time until dough holds together.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill about 20 minutes.
- For filling, melt butter, sugar, and cinnamon in skillet; add apple slices and cook over medium heat until tender, stirring occasionally (about 15 minutes).
- Remove dough from refrigerator, and roll out between parchment paper to form an 8-10 inch disk; place dough in tart pan with removable bottom, and press up sides of pan.
- With slotted spoon, spoon apple filling into tart crust.
- Combine topping ingredients in small bowl and sprinkle over filling.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees, or until crust is golden brown; cool on rack.