1/1 Photo of St. Louis Apple Tart
1 hr 20 mins
A Messy Cook's Note:
This scrumptious tart is a slightly modified version of a recipe from "The Food Journal of Lewis and Clark: Recipes for an Expedition." Its unique cornmeal crust makes it stand out from all the other apple desserts available. Serve with a big scoop of vanilla bean ice cream!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs cooking apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thinly
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup raw sugar or 1/3 cup sucanat or 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1For crust, stir together dry ingredients; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs, and add water one tablespoon at a time until dough holds together.
- 2Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill about 20 minutes.
- 3For filling, melt butter, sugar, and cinnamon in skillet; add apple slices and cook over medium heat until tender, stirring occasionally (about 15 minutes).
- 4Remove dough from refrigerator, and roll out between parchment paper to form an 8-10 inch disk; place dough in tart pan with removable bottom, and press up sides of pan.
- 5With slotted spoon, spoon apple filling into tart crust.
- 6Combine topping ingredients in small bowl and sprinkle over filling.
- 7Bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees, or until crust is golden brown; cool on rack.
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for St. Louis Apple Tart
Serving Size: 1 (178 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 358.6
- Calories from Fat 178
- Total Fat 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.2 g
- Cholesterol 50.8 mg
- Sodium 287.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 23.5 g
- Protein 2.7 g