Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe comes from the Cucina Deliziosa Cookbook, which is one of my favorites! The original recipe was submitted by Mary Patronella. I guessed at the amount it serves!
- 2 lbs sardines, canned in olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts, slightly toasted
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup raisins, plumped in warm
- 3⁄4 cup red wine, for 30 minutes
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (28 ounce) canspeeled Italian tomatoes, with juice
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 small fresh fennel, cleaned,boiled and sliced thin (bulb and greens)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- st. joseph day breadcrumbs
- In a large pot, saute garlic in oil for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes in juice and tomato paste.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring and breaking up tomatoes; let cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add raisins and wine, pine nuts, sardines, fennel, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Cook at least 30 minutes over low heat.
- Add oregano and parsley; Stir well.
- Simmer 10 minutes more.
- Serve over pasta.
- ~NOTE~This pasta is never served with grated cheese.
- Serve only with special St.
- Joseph's Day bread crumbs.