Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from Penzey's Spices catalog. Great for an Easter brunch.
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup raisins or 1 cup currants
- 1 cup nuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar and spices.
- Cut or rub in the butter until the mixture resembles corn meal.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the mixture.
- In a second bowl, combine the buttermilk and baking soda.
- Pour this into the remaining crumb mixture in halves, beating thoroughly after each addition.
- Stir in the raisins and nuts.
- Spread the batter into a greased and floured 9x13 pan.
- Sprinkle the reserved crumb mixture over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour until brown and springy when touched or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.