Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
I created this to use up the leftovers from St. Patrick's day, so I figured it could take the name of one of the saints' days that followed. I liked a number of different corned beef recipes that were on 'Zaar and this soup takes the elements I liked from several recipes and combines them in a different way.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 4 cups cabbage, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 4 cups red potatoes, diced
- 2 cups corned beef, diced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence, crushed
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup dried lentils
- salt and pepper
- In stockpot, melt butter.
- Add cabbage, onions, and potatoes.
- Saute until onions are translucent and cabbage is tender.
- Add corned beef.
- Add broth, water, spices, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Add lentils.
- Simmer another 20 minutes.
- Serve with a crusty bread.