Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is from The Sriracha Cookbook. I have modified it slightly.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup sriracha chili sauce
- 6 ounces dark beer (such as porter or stout, I use Guinness)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large dutch oven.
- Add meat and season with salt and pepper. Brown the meat, breaking up large clumps.
- After about 5 minutes, add onions and bell peppers.
- Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking, stirring occassionally, until onion begin to turn golden brown, 15-20 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, chili powder, paprika, bay leaves, tomato paste and Sriracha. Cook about a minute while stirring.
- Add beer, stirring and scraping sides for stubborn bits.
- Add tomatoes and beans.
- Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occassionally.
- Remove bay leaves prior to serving.
- Garnish with corn chips, cheddar cheese, onions, and/or chopped herbs as desired.