Recipe by gailanng
Korean to the core.
Top Review by Garlic Chick
Made this recently and it is so excellent! It is definitely a long list of ingredients but I had everything on hand except the tomato paste so I just didn't use it. Also, I did not know what Korean red pepper powder was so I just used one shake of cayenne and had mild red miso instead of white miso. I allowed my meat to marinate for two days. I broiled in the oven, just too lazy to turn on my barbecue. What an explosion of flavor these had! Be careful with the sriracha because the meat is already so spicy. Thanks for posting, gailanng - this one I will make again!
For the Marinade
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar or 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons sriracha asian garlic sauce (to taste)
- 1 tablespoonful korean red pepper paste (or sub with tomato paste)
- 1 tablespoonful white miso
- 1 teaspoon korean red pepper powder (to taste)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons canola oil or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, minced
For the Lettuce Wraps
- 1 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs (marinade above)
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 small handful whole cilantro, chopped
- 4 -6 green onions, green parts only (tossed with oil salt & pepper)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- additional sriracha asian garlic sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- For the marinade: Combine all ingredients and whisk together. Pour over the chicken thighs in a large ziplock bag and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
- Heat the grill. Oil the grill grates. When the grill is ready, place on the chicken thighs, keeping an even layer of marinade, if possible, which will provide caramelization. Grill about 2 minutes, then turn 45 degrees to get grill marks. Grill another 2 min before flipping, then repeat on the other side. This should take about 8 minutes and the thighs should be bare char marks and perfectly cooked through on the inside. About 3 minutes before the thighs are finshed, place the prepared green onions on the grill. Allow the thighs to rest for about 10 minutes then slice against the grain.
- To build a wrap, open a lettuce leaf. Place in a bit of chicken, fresh cilantro, grilled green onions and top it off with a generous amount of Sriracha.