Recipe by Lou van
Taken from a Charmaine Solomon recipe (The Complete Asian Cookbook), goes wonderfully with Sri Lankan Chicken curry (Kukl Mas Curry) recipe number 268510
Top Review by Valeria
I did everything I could to keep this from burning, I had it on the lowest setting on my electric burner but nothing could keep the black smoke from rising after just five minutes on the boil. The coconut milk is too much, it makes the dish a creamy slop when it could have turned out like a fine biryani. It was an unfortunate waste of really great ingredients.
- 3 cups long grain rice
- 4 tablespoons ghee
- 2 medium onions, finely sliced
- 6 cloves
- 20 black peppercorns
- 12 cardamom pods, bruised
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 12 curry leaves
- 1 stalk dried lemon grass
- 5 cups coconut milk (approx)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash rice and drain thoroughly.
- Heat ghee in a large saucepan, add onion and fry until it begins to turn golden brown.
- Add cloves, peppercorns,cardamom pods, turmeric, salt, curry leaves and lemon grass.
- Add rice and fry, stirring constantly (ensure each grain is coated), for 2-3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and cook for 20-25 mins without lifting the lid.
- Test the rice and cook for slightly longer if needed.
- When cooked the spices will have come to the top.
- Remove spices and leaves used for flavouring and fluff up the rice lightly with a fork.
- Serve hot.