Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This can also be made with beef.
Make and share this Sri Lankan Style Lamb Curry recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb lamb, diced
- 2 potatoes, peeled cut into large chunks
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 onion, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 3 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 stalks lemongrass, finely sliced
- In a blender or food processor, place onion and lemongrass then add the rest of the curry spices. Pulse several times to mix the spices into a paste. Scrape paste into a large bowl and add the lamb and potatoes. Mix well.
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven or casserole and add the meat and potatoes. Using a wooden spoon, stir-fry the meat and potatoes for 6-8 minutes. Pour in the tomatoes along with liquid, water and vinegar. Bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer gently for 25-30 minutes, until the potatoes are cooked and the lamb is tender.