Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Very tasty as all the Sri Lankan food is, but different in it's own way from the Indian curries that I have been posting. You'll like this one.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 lbs tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs uncooked prawns, peeled
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion till golden.
- Add all of the ingredients EXCEPT THE PRAWNS, simmer and cook till reduced by 1/3rd.
- Add the prwns and cook gently till they are cooked.
I should say right away, this this is not a 3/5 recipe. It's better than that. It's just that it's not a 4/5 recipe either, and I couldn't bring myself to add the extra star. 3.5 would be about right. Very nice, very easy to prepare, and very satisfying on a cold evening. Just don't expect to be blown away. 7/10 ain't bad though!