Recipe by Brian Holley
Different from the usual Indian Dhals, this dish uses coconut milk to add flavour. use this to accompany a Sri Lankan meat curry. You can't go wrong. Rice and Dahl are the two big fillers in Sri Lankan food.
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 2 dried red chilies, chopped
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 cups red lentils
- 4 curry leaves
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable stock, made with a cube
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks, whole
- 4 inches lemongrass (white part only)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy pan heat the oil and fry the onion till golden brown.
- Put half of the onions aside and save for garnish.
- Add the chillies, shrimp paste, and turmeric and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the lentils, curry leaves, coconut milk, stock, cinnamon stick and lemon grass. Stir to mix all the ingredients together.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 40 mins, uncovered.
- Discard the cinnamon stick and lemon grass stalk.
- Garnish with the remaining onions and serve.