1/1 Photo of Sri Lankan Chicken Curry (Kukul Mas Curry)
1 hr 10 mins
Lou van's Note:
I (slightly) adapted this recipe from a book by Charmaine Solomon and have been cooking it for approx 18 years. I often add various veg (we like small eggplants and okra), if I do I add another tin of chopped tomatoes to make more sauce. Goes very well withSri Lankan Yellow Rice (Kaha Bath) recipe number 268510. Originally the recipe serves 2-4 however if you add the optional veg and tomatoes then it stretches to about 6 depending on how much extra you add :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 chicken breasts, in bite size pieces
- 2 tablespoons ghee (or oil)
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 400 g chopped tomatoes (1 tin but I use 2 if adding vegetables)
- 6 cardamom pods, bruised
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 stalk lemongrass or 2 slices lemon rind
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- 1Heat the ghee in a large pan and fry fenugreek and curry leaves until they start to brown.
- 2Add onions, garlic and ginger and fry gently until onions are quite soft and golden.
- 3Add turmeric, chilli, coriander, cummin, fennel, paprika, salt and vinegar.
- 4Stir well.
- 5Add chicken and stir over a medium heat until chicken is thoroughly coated with spices.
- 6Add tomatoes, whole spices and lemon grass.
- 7Add chopped vegetables at this point if using.
- 8Cook, covered, over a low heat for 40 - 50 minutes.
- 9Add coconut milk, taste and add more salt and a squeeze of lemon juice if required.
- 10Do not cover after adding coconut milk.
- 11Serve with rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sri Lankan Chicken Curry (Kukul Mas Curry)
Serving Size: 1 (220 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 794.4
- Calories from Fat 493
- Total Fat 54.7 g
- Saturated Fat 35.3 g
- Cholesterol 125.5 mg
- Sodium 2528.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.1 g
- Sugars 21.3 g
- Protein 39.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: