1/1 Photo of Sri Lankan Chicken Biriyani
Brian Holley's Note:
Super nutty , fruity, chicken dish.I cooked this yesterday and it was super. This is a one pot dish so not too much washing up, (that's a bonus) I served this with naan bread, but a crusty bread would work well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups long grain rice, washed and drained
- 1 lb chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces frozen peas
- 4 ounces raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 inch cube fresh ginger, grated
- 10 curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks
- 4 ounces cashew nuts, chopped
- 3 green cardamoms, split open
- 3 cloves
- 1Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onions till golden brown.
- 2melt the butter in the same pan.
- 3Add the peas, raisins and fry for 1 minute.
- 4Remove the onion peas and raisins, leaving the fat and oil in the pan. Set on one side till later.
- 5Turn the heat down and cook the chilli powder, curry powder, curry leaves, garlic and ginger for 4 minutes.
- 6Add the meat and black pepper, cook for 10 minutes.
- 7Add the tomatoes, cloves, cinnamon, turmeric and salt and cook for 2 minutes.
- 8Add 1 1/2 cups of water and cook till the meat is almost cooked.
- 9Remove 1/2 cup of the gravy and set aside.
- 10Add the rice to the pan with just enough water to cook the rice, stir and cover the pot. Cook on low heat for about 18 mins till rice is cooked.
- 11Serve garnished with the the onions, peas and raisins,and nuts, and the gravy on the side. A simple pineapple curry goes well with this dish, even the kids love it.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sri Lankan Chicken Biriyani
Serving Size: 1 (445 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1054.6
- Calories from Fat 424
- Total Fat 47.1 g
- Saturated Fat 14.1 g
- Cholesterol 107.9 mg
- Sodium 424.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 123.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 25.7 g
- Protein 37.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: