Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Super nutty , fruity, chicken dish.I cooked this yesterday and it was super. This is a one pot dish so not too much washing up, (that's a bonus) I served this with naan bread, but a crusty bread would work well.
- 2 cups long grain rice, washed and drained
- 1 lb chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces frozen peas
- 4 ounces raisins
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 inch cube fresh ginger, grated
- 10 curry leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks
- 4 ounces cashew nuts, chopped
- 3 green cardamoms, split open
- 3 cloves
- Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onions till golden brown.
- melt the butter in the same pan.
- Add the peas, raisins and fry for 1 minute.
- Remove the onion peas and raisins, leaving the fat and oil in the pan. Set on one side till later.
- Turn the heat down and cook the chilli powder, curry powder, curry leaves, garlic and ginger for 4 minutes.
- Add the meat and black pepper, cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, cloves, cinnamon, turmeric and salt and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of water and cook till the meat is almost cooked.
- Remove 1/2 cup of the gravy and set aside.
- Add the rice to the pan with just enough water to cook the rice, stir and cover the pot. Cook on low heat for about 18 mins till rice is cooked.
- Serve garnished with the the onions, peas and raisins,and nuts, and the gravy on the side. A simple pineapple curry goes well with this dish, even the kids love it.