Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
The long slow cooking of this beef curry makes for a really yummy rich gravy
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 kg beef, diced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chile, minced
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 stalk lemongrass, finely chopped
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 200 ml water
- 1 lime, juice of
- Place the coriander, cumin and mustard seeds in a fry pan over medium heat. Cook, shaking the pan until the mustard seeds start to pop (about 2 minutes). Take care not to burn the seeds.
- Cool and grind or crush with a mortar and pestle.
- Heat the oil in a heavy pan and brown the beef in batches. Remove and set aside.
- Add the onion, ginger, garlic, chili curry leaves and lemon grass to the pan and cook gently for 5 minutes. Add the ground spices and cook another 3-4 minutes.
- Return the beef to the pan, along with the coconut cream, water and lime juice.
- Stir well and simmer slowly for about 2 hours or until the beef is tender.
- Stir occasionally and add a little water if the sauce begins to stick.