Recipe by Brian Holley
This is a simple and straightforward recipe. It is non the less authentic. Serve with curried meat and boiled rice. For a real taste of Ceylon put some chutney and poppads on the table also some sliced bananas in lime juice. Wonderful.
- 1 lb potato, peeled and boiled
- 1⁄2 lb onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 6 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 curry leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the potatoes into bite sized pieces.
- In a bowl mix the potato with the salt, turmeric, chilli powder, and the paprika powder.
- Heat the oil in a heavy pan and fry the curry leaves for a few seconds, now add the onions, ground mustard seeds and the cinnamon, fry till the onions are golden.
- Add the potato, and keep stirring till the onions are also golden and heated through.
- Discard the cinnmon stick and sprinkle the curry with the lime juice.