This tasty recipe is based on the Sri Lanka (Ceylon) recipe Chicken Biriyani. However, instead of on a bed of basmati rice, I have used rice sticks.------
- 1587.57 g whole chickens
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2.46 ml fennel seed
- 1.23 ml chili pepper flakes
- 3 cardamom seeds, remove husks
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 0.59 ml turmeric
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml paprika
- 14.79-29.58 ml curry powder, for the chicken (Optional , 1 tablespoon ,or more)
- 14.79 ml curry powder, for the rice sticks (Optional, 1 tablespoon (or more)
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, remove skin and chopped up
- 2 small tomatoes
- 118.29 ml coconut milk
- 59.14 ml yogurt
- 198.44 g rice sticks (2 packets)
- 411.06 g chicken stock, can
- 1 orange, cut up into slides
- 88.74 ml oil
- 14.79 ml ghee
- Cut chicken up into bite size pieces removing the skin, fat and discarding the backbone. Use a folk to hold the tomato and then over a flame, which will cause the.
- skin to blister. then remove the skin. Do the same with the second tomato and then chop both tomatoes up.
- Cooking Instructions-.
- In a big pot add 3 tablespoons oil and 1 tablespoon gee. Add the onion, fennel seeds, pepper flakes, cardamom seeds, cinnamon stick, garlic, turmeric, salt, paprika, ½ teaspoon curry powder (or more to taste), ginger, chopped tomatoes. Cook and stir until the onions are a nice brown.
- Add the coconut milk and yogurt. Stir until smooth.
- Add the chicken pieces and toss.
- Cook uncovered, stirring from time-to-time for about 1 hour… until the sauce is reduced to a thick consistency.
- While the chicken is cooking (15 minutes before it is finished), in a big wok add the can of chicken broth and bring to a boil. When boiling turn off the heat and add the rice sticks. Toss with a folk to loosen up the strands. Let sit for about 5 plus minutes. Remove into a colander.
- In the dried wok, add 3 tablespoons oil and ½ teaspoon curry powder (or more to taste). Add the rice sticks, toss with a folk to loosen the strands and cook to “al dente”.
- Remove the rice sticks to a nice size plate and spread out.
- Add the chicken pieces in the center and with the sauce on top.
- Add slices of orange around the edges of the plate.
- Serve and enjoy!