1/1 Photo of Sri Lanka Coconut-Yogurt Chicken over Rice Sticks
1 hr 15 mins
This tasty recipe is based on the Sri Lanka (Ceylon) recipe Chicken Biriyani. However, instead of on a bed of basmati rice, I have used rice sticks.------
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) whole chickens
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 3 cardamom seeds, remove husks
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 -2 tablespoon curry powder, for the chicken (Optional , 1 tablespoon ,or more)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, for the rice sticks (Optional, 1 tablespoon (or more)
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, remove skin and chopped up
- 2 small tomatoes
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 7 ounces rice sticks (2 packets)
- 14 1/2 ounces chicken stock, can
- 1 orange, cut up into slides
- 6 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1Cut chicken up into bite size pieces removing the skin, fat and discarding the backbone. Use a folk to hold the tomato and then over a flame, which will cause the.
- 2skin to blister. then remove the skin. Do the same with the second tomato and then chop both tomatoes up.
- 3Cooking Instructions-.
- 4In a big pot add 3 tablespoons oil and 1 tablespoon gee. Add the onion, fennel seeds, pepper flakes, cardamom seeds, cinnamon stick, garlic, turmeric, salt, paprika, ½ teaspoon curry powder (or more to taste), ginger, chopped tomatoes. Cook and stir until the onions are a nice brown.
- 5Add the coconut milk and yogurt. Stir until smooth.
- 6Add the chicken pieces and toss.
- 7Cook uncovered, stirring from time-to-time for about 1 hour… until the sauce is reduced to a thick consistency.
- 8While the chicken is cooking (15 minutes before it is finished), in a big wok add the can of chicken broth and bring to a boil. When boiling turn off the heat and add the rice sticks. Toss with a folk to loosen up the strands. Let sit for about 5 plus minutes. Remove into a colander.
- 9In the dried wok, add 3 tablespoons oil and ½ teaspoon curry powder (or more to taste). Add the rice sticks, toss with a folk to loosen the strands and cook to “al dente”.
- 10Remove the rice sticks to a nice size plate and spread out.
- 11Add the chicken pieces in the center and with the sauce on top.
- 12Add slices of orange around the edges of the plate.
- 13Serve and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sri Lanka Coconut-Yogurt Chicken over Rice Sticks
Serving Size: 1 (576 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1104.0
- Calories from Fat 660
- Total Fat 73.4 g
- Saturated Fat 23.2 g
- Cholesterol 200.4 mg
- Sodium 587.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 51.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: