Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
My mom used to make this for my brother and I and we used to call it the living swamp. I just found my mom's recipe for it and this name is just as good. It's hot, gooey and chocolatey!
- 250 ml self-raising flour
- 325 ml brown sugar
- 75 ml cocoa powder
- 1 ml salt
- 30 ml melted butter
- 5 ml vanilla essence
- 125 ml milk
- 300 ml boiling water
- 1 pinch ground cloves (I used cinnamon and chilli powder instead)
- dark chocolate, piece (optional)
- Mix the flour with 200mls of the sugar, 25mls of the cocoa, salt and spices.
- Add melted butter and vanilla essence.
- Pour into 25cmx15cmx5cm dish.
- Sprinkle over remaining sugar and cocoa. Pour on boiling water.
- Put dish in pan filled with boiling water and bake at 180 for 30-40 minutes.
- I used a bit less cocoa in the mix and while it was cooking, pushed some dark chocolate pieces into the pud -- oh man!
mmmm, yummy and gooey, although it really does look swampy! We pushed in some marshmallows too, along with the chocolate pieces. (the white bits in the photo). Tastes like a slightly underdone chocolate cake. PS, I find it easier to measure out dry ingredients in mg or cups, rather than ml..... LOVED IT!!!