Recipe by strangelittlebeast
This is my favorite way to cook yellow squash.I think the cumin and butter really play up the fresh ,subtly sweet flavor.It really doesn't get easier than this.Serve with a Mexican /Southwest meal.You could play around with this and even make it Indian style to go with a curry.Yield is approximate.
Top Review by *Parsley*
I loved the easy and delicious recipe. I crushed my cumin seeds. The cumin flavor really adds to the already great taste of summer squash. I cooked my squash a bit quicker so it would be overly soft. Thanx for shring!
- 2 large yellow squash
- 1⁄4 cup diced onion (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed (whole or slightly crushed)
- 2 tablespoons real butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Thinly slice the squash,about 1/4 inch thick,cutting the larger rounds in half.dice onions.
- Heat a medium skillet on medium -high,add cumin seeds and stir constantly until they start to brown a bit ,and maybe 'pop'.this takes less than a minute -don't walk away!
- Immediately add butter and onions,turn down heat to medium,,and let onions brown a bit just for a minute or two.
- Add squash,salt and pepper.cover and cook,stirring when necessary,until done to taste.I cook mine for about 6 minutes,but you may want to cook them for about 10 minutes if you like very soft squash.