Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Greek squid recipe with rich rice and herbs filling.
Make and share this Squid Stuffed With Spinach and Herbs recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs squid
- 250 g spinach
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 finely chopped onion (small)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped herbs (mix of spearmint, parsley and basil)
- 1⁄2 cup rice
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 2 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 2 grated tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup wine (white or rose)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Prepare squid: remove intestine, eyes and the jelly bone from squid. Rinse well and cut of the tentacles.
- Clean rinse and chop spinach.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and sauté onion and tentacles for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add spinach and hers and sauté for other 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat and stir in rice, salt and pepper.
- Stuff the squid taking care not to overfill them and place in a baking tin.
- Heat olive oil and sauté onion and garlic.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the squid and bake at 180°C/350F for about three quarters of an hour. Check the liquid from time to time and add more liquid (wine of water) if necessary.
I'd been wanting to make this for some time, and when I saw cleaned squid tubes at the market, I picked up a couple. I did contact Awalde, who advised that the sauce also needs a cup of water. I used the fresh herbs I had growing in the garden - oregano, thyme, dill - but as I was going out the back door, one of the cats slipped out, and I ended up chasing him to the neighbors' yard. I saw a expanse of fresh mint, and plucked a few sprigs for the stuffing. I also used frozen chopped spinach, a real convenience. I divided the filling between the squid and closed off the ends with tootpicks. The squid fit very nicely into a shallow baking dish. The squid were perfectly done after 45 minutes at 350 deg and looked so very pretty sliced, with the green and white stuffing.