- Cut the tubwise body of the squid crosswise into ¼" rings.
- Wash these rings and the tentacles and put in a pan with 4 tbsps water.
- Boil, cover and simmer for about 3 mins or until the squid turns opaque.
- Drain and put into a bowl.
- Peel and finely slice the shallots.
- Add to squid with lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, chilli powder and corriander leaves.
- Toss well and check the seasoning.
- Just before serving arrange the lettuce leaves on a serving plate.
- Peel the cucumber and slice into thin rounds.
- Cut the tomatoes in half vertically.
- Put the squid salad on top of the lettuce and surround with cucumber slices and tomato halves.
I know many people dislike squid, but if you like it, this salad is for you. It's very fresh and light, yet filling. Not like the mayo-based seafood salads. I made this using the squid rings only. I didn't think the tentacles would be attractive in the salad. I opted to use the salt (only 1 tbsp) over the fish sauce, just to keep the dressing from being too heavy. I made the squid mixture about 2 hours ahead of time so flavors could meld. The fresh cilantrp is a must! Thanx for posting!