Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Squid simmered in wine and tossed with a tangy vinaigrette. Perfect antipasti. Don't forget the crusty Italian bread and fruity extra virgin olive oil for dipping.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 lbs squid
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Prepare squid by pulling off the tentacles and head.
- Reach into the body and pull out the hard quill and discard.
- Peel the colored skin off from the body.
- Rinse under cold water and cut the body into rings.
- Cut the tentacles from the head and discard the head.
- Place the onion, garlic, wine and water in a medium saute pan.
- Bring to liquid to a boil.
- Add the prepared squid.
- Turn heat down to low.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- While squid is cooking prepare the dressing.
- In small bowl stir together the shallot, 2 garlic cloves, olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt an pepper to taste.
- Drain the cooked squid and let cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl toss the squid with the dressing cover and let marinate for at least 15 minutes and serve.
Perfect squid, so tender and just the right tangyness in the marinade. Had some parsley in hand and threw it in as well, for little color and it goes so well with lemon and garlic. Really enjoyed this.