Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Butternut or acorn squash are great for this recipe. I searched Zaar for a similar recipe but could not find one so decided to post this one. This is a tasty and attractive way to serve squash. Especially lovely on your holiday table. If you wish peel the squash and cut it into bite size pieces, place all the ingredients into a casserole dish, mix well, cover casserole & bake at 375 for apprx 1 hour
- Cut a small slice from the bottom of each cleaned Squash half (this allows the squash to sit level) and place, cavity side up, in an oven proof baking dish.
- Mix together the butter, cinnamon & nutmeg and sugar.
- Place 1 tbsp of the mixture in the cavity of each squash half.
- Distibute the cranberries between the 4 halves on top of the butter.
- Add the apples on top of the cranberries.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cover the squash with foil and bake for apprx 1 hour, remove foil and check that they are tender
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and gently mix the cranberries & apples so you see both the apple & the cranberries - serve.
This was the star of Sunday dinner, delicious! I made it into a casserole and used a butternut squash, cut back on the sugar to 1 table spoon of Splenda brown mix and followed the recipe for the rest of it. turned out sooo delicious!! Thanks for posting Bergy!
This is one of our favorite side dishes - easy, colorful and always well received.
Glad to see it in print so others can enjoy
Bergy, I LOVE YOUR RECIPES!!! I made this a few weeks ago minus the spices and only used 1 TBS brown sugar and 1 TBS butter for 1/2 sweet dumpling squash, and one large apple. I also added some rotisserie chicken. I cooked the squash that was cut in half & seeded in a pan with 1/2 inch water, with the cut side down, for about 45 minutes. Then I cooled it enough to handle and peeled it, cut it into chunks and mixed it with the apples in a casserole and baked 10 minutes covered, then added 1 cup rotisserie chicken and covered and baked 15 minutes, then I put the dried cranberries on just as I was bringing it to the table. My mom and I LOVED it, and so did my 15 yo Son! I took it to potluck last night, again with out spices, used 1 sweet dumpling, 2 apples, 1 TBS butter and brown sugar. Everyone loved it! Thanks for the idea!