Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Different squash casserole.
- 3 -4 lbs yellow squash
- 2 medium onions, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups milk
- 1 dash salt
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 3 dashes ground nutmeg
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 1⁄3 cups shredded swiss cheese
- cayenne pepper
- buttered bread crumb
- Cut squash into 1/3" slices.
- Place in large saucepan with onion, bay leaves, parsley and thyme.
- Cover with boiling, salted water and cook until squash is barely tender.
- Drain, remove parsley and baly leaves and set squash aside.
- While the squash is cooking, make cream sauce.
- In sauce pan, heat 6 T butter; blend in 6 T flour and then grdually add 3 C milk and dash of salt.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- To the sauce, add seasoned salt, nutmeg and Worcestershire sauce.
- Remove from heat; gradually add in egg yolks (by adding small amount of sauce to yolks in a small bowl, then adding a little more, etc. then returning all back to the saucepan).
- Srit in 1 C of cheese and add cayenne pepper to taste.
- Combine squash with sauce, stirring gently; turn into large buttered baking dish that is about 2 inches deep.
- Mix remaining cheese with equal amount (or more if needed) buttered bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle over squash and bake at 350° for about 35 minutes, or until top is bubbly and brown.
- Leftovers freeze well.