Recipe by Sassy Red Chef
After experimenting with gluten-free recipes, I discovered brown rice and almond milk works well for substitution of cream soups. This soup is southern comfort to the fullest, hope you enjoy it.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Absolutely loved this soup, & we both thought the flavor combo of the turkey sausage & the shrimp was excellent! The only change I made was to cut back on the salt by almost half! We're big on soups & will be making this recipe again, I know! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's round of Pick A Chef]
- 1 cup sweet onion, diced
- 1 cup green pepper, diced
- 5 summer squash, cut and quartered
- 3 1⁄2 ounces smoked turkey sausage, quartered
- 1⁄2 lb frozen shrimp, fully cooked
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon course kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon blackening seasoning, mix
- 1⁄4 cup brown rice flour
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup vegan butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- In a slow cooker, add the following ingredients: onions, squash, green peppers, sausage, parsely, salt, pepper, blackened seasoning and cup of water.
- Allow to cook for appoximately two hours on high or until vegetables are fork tender and squash has been broken down.
- Pour 2 cups of almond milk into soup.
- In seperate bowl, mix brown rice flour and vegan butter. Use fork to mesh together, almost like pie dough. Add into the soup mixture, this is your rue that will thicken the soup.
- If your using frozen shrimp, run some cold water until it starts to defrost. You can toss in the soup, it will eventually defrost, do not cook any longer than twenty minutes. Shrimp does well in this soup plump, however, mine has cooked for hours and was still delicious.
- Hope you enjoy :) also would compliment some yellow or white grits on the side.