Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
My dad's recipe and a family favorite. You can leave out the meat for a vegetarian option. Great winter soup for cold days!
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1⁄2-1 lb smoked ham or 1⁄2-1 lb bacon, chopped
- 1 buttercup squash or 1 acorn squash or 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 3 -4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 -4 cups chicken stock or 3 -4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Hint: to make it easier to peel squash, cut in half, scoop out seeds, and microwave for 5 minutes. Let it cool and then peel and chop squash.
- Saute the onions and ham in a couple tablespoons of oil or butter in a very large pot (If you are using bacon you do not need the oil or butter).
- When the onions are starting to get crispy, deglaze the pot with the stock, add the squash and potatoes, and pour in enough water to liberally cover the vegetables.
- When the vegetables are very soft, mash them up a bit with a potato masher, then add the milk, salt and pepper, and brown suger if desired.
- Heat through and enjoy!
Tell Dad he's got a winner here! Excellent in every way-- thanks so much!