Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
Sweet Relish similiar to sweet cucumber pickle relish
- 6 -7 large squash
- 2 large green peppers
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 large onions
- 1⁄4 cup salt
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups vinegar (white)
- 3 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- Chop or Grind vegetables.
- Sprinkle Salt over all and cover with ice and let stand for 1 hour.
- Mix other ingredients together and bring to a boil (Make sure sugar is melted).
- Add vegetables to mixture and cook for about 5 minutes.
- When it is bubbling it is ready.
- Put into prepared jars and seal.
- May be put in water bath for 10 minutes, if desired, to help seal.
My whole family loves this recipe. I made a few changes, like adding some black mustard seeds and soaking the vegetables in the fridge overnight. I used a mandoline to finely shred the squash, which allowed me to use overripe squash, seeds and all. This is the best relish I've ever eaten.
This recipe was great with one exception. a little too much salt. I ground up 10 cups of squash (about 10 med. size) and 4 cups onions (about 5 med.) but other than those changes, it was wonderful. My son very much loved this recipe. It was extremely easy to make and canned very well. I got 13 pints from the recipe. I will definitely use this one again, only reducing salt to 1/8 cup.