Recipe by Brenda Hall
Sweet Relish similiar to sweet cucumber pickle relish
Top Review by central texas foodophile
My whole family loves this recipe. I made a few changes, like adding some black mustard seeds and soaking the vegetables in the fridge overnight. I used a mandoline to finely shred the squash, which allowed me to use overripe squash, seeds and all. This is the best relish I've ever eaten.
- 6 -7 large squash
- 2 large green peppers
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 large onions
- 1⁄4 cup salt
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups vinegar (white)
- 3 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop or Grind vegetables.
- Sprinkle Salt over all and cover with ice and let stand for 1 hour.
- Mix other ingredients together and bring to a boil (Make sure sugar is melted).
- Add vegetables to mixture and cook for about 5 minutes.
- When it is bubbling it is ready.
- Put into prepared jars and seal.
- May be put in water bath for 10 minutes, if desired, to help seal.