Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 10 cups chopped squash (any kind or mix them)
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 5 -6 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups vinegar
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 jar pimiento, chopped
- mix squash and onion together sprinkle with the salt and let set overnight.
- drain, then mix all ingredients together and boil for thirty minutes.
- place in jars and seal.
- this recipe does not have to be hot water canned. I have kept it for over 2 years with no problems.
This is a really great recipe! Instead of the jar of pimento, I substituted red and orange bell pepper, and it worked great! I also looked around in my garden to see what else was fresh, and made a separate batch using 1 cup of fresh Thai basil leaves (measured then finely chopped) along with 1/4 cup of grated fresh ginger. This is an amazingly flexible and tasty recipe!
This recipe made exactly as directed is a GREAT way to use all your squash. I use yellow & zucchini (nice color blend with the pimento ) It is better than any relish I've ever bought. One use,a big spoon full in macaroni or potato salad...hamburgers & hotdogs are a given ! I used smaller, hand cut squash, but ran the onion through a processor , and i did hot water bath for 20 minutes to be on the safe side. I give this recipe ALL of 5 stars...Everybody loves it !
This recipe is a great way to use all of that extra squash. I made three batches of it because my relatives liked it so well that they all wanted a jar of it. They like to eat it with pinto beans. I added some bell pepper to the recipe because I had some bell pepper from my garden. This recipe also look pretty in the jar.