Recipe by Sayster
from Better Homes & Gardens
Top Review by yogiclarebear
I haven't been a fan of quinoa in the past, but it is so healthy I wanted to try it again. I'm so glad I found this delicous and healthy recipe! I used 1lbs of chicken for extra protein, and 5 cups of chicken broth. I couldn't find apricot nectar that wasn't full of high-fructose corn syrup, so I used 2 packages of apricot puree (baby food.) Worked great and thickened it up a bit. Next time I will add MORE cumin, a little something to sweeten, and maybe some ginger as well. Thanks for posting!
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄3 cup shallots or 1⁄3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (or canola oil)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can apricot nectar
- 1 lb butternut squash, peeled, halved, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3⁄4 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- In saucepan cook chicken and shallot in hot oil over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes or until shallots are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth, apricot nectar, squash, quinoa, and cumin. Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Add zucchini.
- Cover and cook 10 minutes more or until squash and quinoa are tender.
- Season to taste with salt and ground black pepper. Makes 6 (1-1/3 cup) servings.