Recipe by Chef Mommie
A wonderful side dish that I make as soon as the yellow squash start coming in. When I first started making this about 30 years ago, I used the bacon grease. I found I like the margarine better and I like the squash to cook so that you have a few browned pieces in. Oooohh, that gives it so much flavor!
- 1⁄4 cup margarine (or a little bacon grease)
- 3 medium size yellow squash (cut in chunks)
- 2 medium potatoes (cut in chunks)
- 1 small onion (halved and sliced)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and Cut up squash, potatoes and onions.
- Melt butter in lg. fry pan.
- Add squash.
- Add potatoes on top of squash.
- Add onions on top of potatoes.
- Cover and simmer till potatoes are done stirring occasionally (about 1/2 hour).
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add small amount of water if it starts sticking (usually not necessary due to water content in vegetables).