Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A variation of a recipe found on Epicurious.
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 lbs butternut squash, peeled, halved, seeded, cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch dice (about 3 cups)
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 2 cups brown rice (about 13 1/2 ounces)
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups packed baby spinach leaves (about 2 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 3 slices bacon, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled blue cheese (about 1 ounce)
- Bring 4 cups broth to boil in large saucepan. Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and mushrooms and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add squash and 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme; sauté 4 minutes to coat with butter.
- Add rice and stir 2 minutes.
- Add wine and simmer until evaporated, about 1 minute.
- Add 4 cups hot broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered until rice is just tender and risotto is creamy and slightly soupy, about 18 minutes.
- Stir in spinach, cream, and Parmesan cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer risotto to large bowl. Sprinkle with blue cheese, bacon and remaining 1/2 teaspoon thyme and serve.