Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Great use for that summer squash, that is served with a nice variety of vegetables.
Make and share this Squash Medley recipe from Food.com.
- 8 summer squash, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- half a green pepper, chopped
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 4 slices bacon, fried, and crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- Sprinkle squash with salt.
- In a slow cooker, layer half of the squash, tomatoes, onions, and green pepper.
- Add 1 tablespoon brown sugar.
- Layer the other half of vegetables, and top with remaining brown sugar.
- Dissolve bouillon cube in hot water, and pour this into slow cooker.
- Top with bacon. Sprinkle bread crumbs over top.
- Cover, and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
Yes this is a nice use of summer squash. Like last reviewer I used a mix of yellow and green making for a colorful side. I did make a few minor changes the first of which was to use yellow onion instead of green (for two reasons one we like the taste of onion and two because that was what I had on hand.) the other was to cut the brown sugar in half and was glad I did or it would have been too sweet for our taste. Did see were another reviewer thought it need a little something and reading the recipe thought it sounded like it need some garlic so just sprinkled a little garlic powder over before cooking. I checked at 4 hours and it was perfectly done think 6 hours and we would have had mush. Sorry no photo because I placed this over pearl couscous in little containers for our lunch. Thanks for the post.
This is a good simple squash recipe! I used half yellow squash and half zucchini. This is a basic recipe that was good as is but next time I would add some herbs or spices between the layers and on top to compliment whatever else I'm serving it with. The bread crumbs and bacon on top was a nice addition. Thanks for sharing the recipe!