Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I love this soup because it is thick & creamy without using any cream. I had a huge Butternut squash, and some leeks left from the garden, and this is what developed.
- 1 large squash (8 cups)
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 3 leeks, chopped (white and light green parts only)
- 1 clove garlic
- 9.85 ml minced fresh ginger
- 946.36 ml chicken stock
- 29.58 ml butter or 29.58 ml margarine
- 236.59 ml white wine (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut squash into half lengthwise, clean out seeds and place skin up on a baking dish, bake at 400 for about 45 minute allow to cool, peel off skin and cut into large chunks.
- In a large pot, saute the onions, ginger, leeks, and garlic in the butter until soft.
- Add the chicken stock, and wine (if using,or increase chicken stock) and simmer about 20 minute.
- Transfer to a large bowl or measuring cup.
- Fill blender or food processer with 1/2 stock and 1/2 squash.
- (This took me 3 batches) Puree.
- Return to pot and add salt, pepper to taste.
- Simmer about 20 minute Freezes well.
A delicious, hearty, healthy soup! I halved the recipe & substituted with an acorn squash. The mandatory wine was "Sauvignon Blanc" direct from Toolie's cellar - I enjoyed a glass while the soup was simmering. Thanx Toolie & Lois!