2 hrs 50 mins
1 hr 50 mins
A huge favorite with non-healthy, picky, and healthy eaters alike. A wonderful combination of fall flavors that will delight your tastebuds! Adapted from Eating Well magazine 2006. This would made a great Thanksgiving or Christmas main dish-or any holiday!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 ounces lasagna noodles (whole-wheat is best)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large leeks (about 6 cups) or 5 medium leeks, pale green and white parts only, thinly sliced and washed thoroughly (about 6 cups)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low-fat milk (or whole milk)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 (2 lb) butternut squash, peeled, halved, seeded and grated (using the large-hole side of a box grater)
- 6 ounces parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated (using the large-hole side of a box grater)
- 4 ounces lowfat mozzarella cheese, shredded (optional)
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- 3Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook noodles until not quite al dente, about 2 minutes less than the package directions. Drain; return the noodles to the pot and cover with cool water.
- 4Melt butter in a Dutch oven or large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 6 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the leeks; stir well. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Whisk in milk in a slow stream and cook, whisking constantly, until thick and bubbling, 8 to 10 minutes. Whisk in thyme, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Remove from the heat.
- 5Assemble lasagna in the prepared baking dish by layering one-third of the noodles, one-third of the sauce, half the squash, one-third of the cheeses, half the remaining noodles, half the remaining sauce, all the pine nuts, all the remaining squash, half the remaining cheese, all the remaining noodles, all the remaining sauce and all the remaining cheese. Cover with parchment paper then foil.
- 6Bake the lasagna for 50 minutes. Uncover and bake until bubbling and lightly browned, 30 to 45 minutes more. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving (or follow make-ahead instructions).
- 7Make Ahead Tip:.
- 8Bake, let cool for 1 hour, cover with parchment paper then foil and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat, covered, at 350°F for 1 hour, then uncovered for 30 minutes more.
- 10To toast pine nuts, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Squash & Leek Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (321 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 324.0
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 19.4 mg
- Sodium 485.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 14.1 g